Chester C. Morgan (#42023086) - September 22, 2007

Place of Birth
Date of Birth

Ithaca, New York
June 3, 1922
Private First Class
83rd Infantry
Combat Infantryman's Badge, Purple Heart with two Oak Leaf Cluster, Good Conduct Medal, American Campaign Medal, European African Middle-Eastern Campaign Medal with 5 Bronze Campaign Stars

Chester C. Morgan, from Ithaca, Tompkins County, New York was born on June 3, 1922, in Ithaca, NY, to .......... Morgan and Cecilia G. Morgan. He had 4 years of high school education at the Ithaca High School, NY, and graduated with the class of 1941. His occupation was listed as "Semiskilled chauffeurs and drivers, bus, taxi, truck, and tractor".
Chester Morgan (#42023086) enlisted in the service on August 7, 1943 in Syracuse, New York and took some of his basic training at Camp Gruber, Oklahoma with the 42nd Infantry Division and was later stationed at Fort George G. Mead, Maryland. He went to England in May 1944 and was in France since July 1, 1944.
In the European Theatre of Operation (ETO), he was a Rifleman, Private First Class in the 83rd Infantry Division, 329th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Battalion, G Company.

Morning Report of August 5, 1944 lists Morgan Chester C. as Seriously Wounded in Action (SWA) and transfered to the 100st Evacuation Hospital (France).

After Action Reports of August 1944 lists on August 5, 1944 that Chateuneuf, Brittany, France, was the next objective:

After Action Reports of April 1945 lists Pfc. Morgan Chester C. as Seriously Wounded in Action (SWA) on April 12, 1945.
After Action Reports of April 1945 lists on April 12 the attack at Barby, Germany:

Chester C. Morgan died at the age of 85 on September 22, 2007 and is buried at the Calvery Cemetery, Ithaca, NY.

Chester C. Morgan brought home photos from the war.

During basic training with the 42nd Infantry Division

Chester C. Morgan, stationed in Deggendorf probably July, 1945. Picture taken in front of the Top Hat Club in Deggendorf, Bavaria, Germany, lokated at Kafee Wiedemann (Weinstube), seized by the US Army from 1945 till 1948.
Pfc. Frank Kenny was the manager of the G.I. night club that catered exclusively to the enlisted men of the 329th Infantry, 308th Medics and 308th Engineers. Lt. Col Claude L. Bowen Jr. Regimental Commander of the 329th, officially opened the club on June 27, 1945. The idea for the club was from Cpl. Julius Ansel who said: "Nothing's too good for the boys".

Today it is still "Café Conditorei Wiedemann"

Chester C. Morgan, 2nd Platoon. G Coompany's Command Post in Ottering, Germany. May or August 1945.
(Thanks to Mitch Ransdell, son of Jim Ransdell G/329, for sharing this photo)

Thanks to his sons Chester and Don Morgan for sharing the photos about their dad.